Carbon monoxide explained


Colourless and odourless, carbon monoxide gas has a knack for going unnoticed. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of organic fuels including gas, coal and wood – occurring, for example, when inadequate ventilation deprives a gas-burning stove of oxygen. As a result, carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of air poisoning around the home. Carbon monoxide molecules bind tightly to haemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in blood. Taking oxygen’s place, they prevent blood from delivering oxygen to cells. You can reduce the risk by keeping your home well ventilated and servicing appliances such as boilers every year.