The spies in the sky watching you right now revealed in How It Works 83
The latest military tech makes it easier than ever for intelligence agencies to keep an eye on us from above. From sky-borne sub hunters like the Boeing Poseidon P-8, to intelligence gathering planes like the Lockheed U-2, there is an entire fleet of aircraft at the military’s disposal. In Issue 83 of How It Works, we uncover the amazing methods they use to watch the enemy, and even track their mobile communication, from above.
Also in this issue:
- Mountain bike mechanics: The incredible tech powering your off-road adventures
- The science of superheroes: The real-life physics behind flight, speed and super strength
- Animal hearts: Find out how different creatures get their blood pumping
- 60 second science: A beginner’s guide to the laws of thermodynamics
- Junk DNA: Why is there so much rubbish in the human genome?
- The future of shopping: From robot shop assistants to virtual fitting rooms, discover the tech that will revolutionise retail
- How bass guitars work: The secret to those chest-pumping sounds
- Heroes of technology: How Elon Musk revolutionised the world
- How do multi-copters take-off?: The science and tech of commercial drones
- Evolution of tablet computers: From PalmPilots to iPads, discover how tablets have tapped into our lives
- Natural born killers: The deadly tactics of the world’s greatest hunters
- Why do fish have scales?: We get to the bottom of this slippery subject
- 12 surprising facts about the solar system: Learn more about our strange cosmic neighbourhood
- Space weather: Get the forecast for the Sun’s explosive activity and it affects us on Earth
- Preparing for space: Find out how astronauts mentally prepare for missions
- The Tesla coil: How one of history’s greatest inventors produced a spectacular light show
- Henry VIII by numbers: Shocking facts and figures about the infamous Tudor king
- Sikorsky MH-60 Black Hawk: The military machine deigned for special operations in hostile environments
- Global Eye: Discover the future cities under the sea and the real-life Batmobile
- Book reviews: Our verdict on the latest science reads
- How To: Learn how to build a projector and make a fog machine
- Brain Dump: Your curious science questions answered, including do animals flirt? And what would happen if there were no Moon?
- Plus, much, much more!
Pick up a copy of Issue 83 today from all good retailers, or order it online from the ImagineShop. If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can also download the digital version onto your iOS or Android device. To make sure you never miss an issue of How It Works magazine, make sure you subscribe today!