In the lead up to World War I, Britain’s Royal Navy kick-started a naval arms race with Germany when the revolutionary HMS Dreadnought took to the waves. However, by World War II, the battleship has been rendered obsolete, as superior aircraft and submarine weapons meant that the aircraft carrier became the capital ship of the fleet. Today, navies have an assortment of warships to tackle any situation, that are built for speed, efficiency and cost-effectiveness with plenty of automation to shrink crew sizes. In issue 80 of How It Works, we take a look at the battleships of the past and the warships of the present and future, exploring the advances in technology and firepower that will shape the fleets of tomorrow.
Also in this issue:
- Day in the life of an airline pilot: Find out if you have what is takes to fly a jumbo jet around the world
- Miracle science: The medical breakthroughs that will save your life
- 60 second science: Get to grips with Einstein’s general theory of relativity
- Espresso machines explained: How does this complex contraption produce the perfect shot?
- Treasure hunter tech: The incredible gadgets Indiana Jones wishes he had
- Geothermal heating: How can heat from the Earth warm our homes?
- Glow-in-the-dark animals: Discover the science of bioluminescence and why creatures glow
- Victorian seances debunked: The creative con artists that believed they could speak to the dead
- Nintendo’s VR headset: Looking back at the Virtual Boy 20 years on
- Tsingy de Bemaraha maze: Explore the towing needles of limestone carved out over millennia
- How far can we see into space?: Find out how astronomers calculate the distance to far-away galaxies
- Global Eye: Find out how you can get chameleon vision and take a look at the lightest metal ever
- Wish List: Our round up of the best smart home gadgets
- How To: Learn how to make a torch and contract a periscope
- Brain Dump: Your curious science questions answered, including why do parrots copy what we say? And what causes pins and needles?
- Plus, much, much more!
Pick up a copy of Issue 80 today from all good retailers, or order it online from the ImagineShop. If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can also download the digital version onto your iOS or Android device. To make sure you never miss an issue of How It Works magazine, make sure you subscribe today!