Why is chocolate bad for animals?

Nearly all humans love chocolate, it gives us immense pleasure when we devour it and contains nothing that is directly harmful too us, unless you include the fat and sugar that can be detrimental to our overall health. However, it’s a different story for our beloved pets; they are unlikely to get off so lightly if they consume large quantities of the nation’s favourite treat. Here’s why you should never feed your pet chocolate:

Chocolate contains theobromine, which is an alkaloid chemical like caffeine. It causes vomiting, diarrhoea and – in high enough doses – even heart failure and seizures. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning are the same for humans as for dogs, but dogs need a much smaller dose. Dogs are carnivores and their metabolism hasn’t evolved efficient enzymes to deal with as wide a range of plant chemicals as ours. Dogs are about three times more sensitive to chocolate than us, per kilo of body weight, so two 120-gram (4.2-ounce) bars of dark chocolate are enough to make a 20-kilogram (44-pound) dog ill, while half a kilogram (1.1 pounds) could even be fatal. That’s why you should make sure you keep all your chocolate in a safe place that your pets can’t get at!

For more incredible facts, make sure you pick up the latest copy of How It Works. It’s available from all good retailers, or you can order it online from the ImagineShop. If you have a tablet or smartphone, you can also download the digital version onto your iOS or Android device. To make sure you never miss an issue of How It Works magazine, make sure you subscribe today!

Plus, take a look at:

Which are smarter: cats or dogs?

Why do dogs like chasing things?

How do cats see at night?

How do cats land on their feet?

Why do Persian cats have flat faces?